KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia has surpassed the target of two million incoming tourist arrivals, says Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri.
The Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister said the target was surpassed on Tuesday (June 21), with a new target of 4.5 million currently set.
“Given this achievement, we have reviewed the number of tourist arrivals to 4.5 million and will further review this figure in September, as we are optimistic to get higher numbers,” she said at a press conference today after the 12th Malaysia Gift Fair networking night.
She added that countries such as India and Saudi Arabia had also steadily entered the country, alongside the Philippines and Indonesia.
“Unsurprisingly, Singapore still has the highest number of tourists entering Malaysia,” she said.
She noted that if Singaporean excursionists were accounted for, the total number of incoming tourists to Malaysia would have totalled more than three million.
“Similarly, we are looking to target young honeymooners in our upcoming programmes through caravan tourism activities once we formalise this concept.
“We are also aiming to promote the national textile industry with plans to organise fashion shows in metropolitan countries consisting of various nationalities due to their interest in seeing diverse cultures,” she said.
Earlier this year, Nancy said Malaysia expected to have two million international tourist arrivals this year with RM8.6bil in tourism receipts following the reopening of the country’s borders.
*This article was originally published on The Star, 22/06/2022.